This lightened up version of bang bang shrimp tacos is a staple in our household. The combination of crispy shrimp tossed in a creamy spicy sauce wrapped in a tortilla with sweet mango, cool avocado and fresh cilantro is out of this world!
I love tacos, specifically “bang bang shrimp” tacos. I mean, a bunch of golden fried shrimp slathered in a spicy mayo sauce wrapped in a tortilla… COME ON! It is absolutely one of my indulgent weaknesses.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the metabolism to support my “bang bang shrimp” habit anymore so I developed this lightened up version to satisfy my craving. And OMG guys, these tacos are as good as the real thing, I PROMISE.
I charred corn tortillas over my burner, but I have also made this recipe many times with lettuce wraps if I am watching my carb intake. I have also used this recipe from Wicked Spatula to make my own paleo friendly tortillas in the past, and they were delicious!
Now let’s talk about the bang bang sauce. I have experimented with making my own from scratch before, and don’t get me wrong it was awesome. But to completely honest, when I come home after working a long day I want quick, easy recipes with as little clean up as possible. With that being said, I have included my two ingredient go-to “bang bang-ish” sauce. All it is a a combo of mayonnaise and Sriracha. Yes people, that is it! I am very picky about what condiments I use and usually only use Sir Kensington’s products. Everything they make is delicious with minimal ingredients.
As we start to build our tacos with the charred tortilla, spicy shrimp, sweet mango, creamy avocado and fresh cilantro the flavors come together so perfectly it makes me smile just thinking about it!
Make these tacos once and I promise you will be hooked!
- 1½ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs arrowroot starch, corn starch or potato starch will work as well
- 1 tsp ghee, butter or olive works as well
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tbs sriracha
- 9 corn tortillas, charred
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Optional: cotija cheese, jalapeno
- Combine shrimp, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic power, lime juice and arrowroot starch in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine mayonnaise and sriracha and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a non stick skillet over medium heat and wait for skillet to get very hot. Add shrimp and make sure they are spread out and not too on top of each other.
- Cook shrimp for 2 minutes and then flip and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Once shrimp are cooked through transfer to the bowl with the mayonnaise mixture and toss well.
- Lay out tortillas and toppings like a taco bar and have fun building your own bang bang shrimp tacos and enjoy!