A simple and classic lentil salad bursting with flavor and topped with an indulgent poached egg. Light and packed with protein is a sure bet to become a new favorite!
One of my favorite non-meat proteins is lentils. I don’t know why, but ever since discovering them in college I just can’t get enough of them. I love them in soups, in salads and even simply topped over rice.
Geoffrey and I recently went to a really cute french restaurant with my aunt in Atlanta called “Le Bilboquet”, and as soon as I saw they had a lentil salad topped with a poached egg on the menu my decision was made. I HAD to try this concoction and see what it was all about.
Guys, my mind was BLOWN. It was super simple, the flavors were clean and bright, and that egg. I could talk all day about the combination of this perfectly poached egg on these relatively basic lentils. Obviously, I was going to have to recreate this masterpiece in my own kitchen. I am happy to report my version is pretty on point; if I do say so myself.
For my version of this French Lentil Salad I used packaged steamed lentils from Trader Joe’s. They are super delicious, and it really cuts down on time spent in the kitchen. The lentils are combined with green bell pepper, fresh chives, and fresh tarragon to bring a degree of freshness to the earthy lentils. Also, the dijon dressing is, OMG, to die for.
This salad is perfect by itself for a relatively light and protein packed lunch, or served for dinner as a side dish with my Lemon Dill Salmon. I love making a big batch of the salad at the beginning of the week, and all I have to do is quickly poach an egg and we’ve got ourselves a meal in under 10 minutes. I call that a massive weekday meal win!
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chives, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- 4 poached eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lentils, bell pepper, chives and tarragon in a medium sized serving bowl
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
- Pour dressing over the lentils and stir until all of the lentils are well coating in the dressing
- Plate and top each serving with a poached egg
*Note -See link below for instructions on how to perfectly poach an egg. Super easy so don’t be intimidated! If you still don’t feel 100% comfortable an over easy egg is delicious as well with this salad!